Dr. Mark Hyman, author of The Blood Sugar Solution and 8 time New York Times best seller, has inspired many people, including President Clinton, with the notion that “as long as you burn more calories than you consume you will lose weight” as NOT being a true statement. Dr. Hyman believes very strongly that the type of calories you consume does make a difference because not all calories are created equal. The same number of calories from different types of food can have very different biological effects.
Think about 750 calories of soda to 750 calories of broccoli.
Here is what happens when you consume the soda:
- First and foremost, the soda contains empty calories with absolutely no nutritional value.
- Your gut quickly absorbs the fiber-free sugars, which makes the glucose spike your blood sugar, starting a domino effect of high insulin and hormonal responses.
- High insulin then increases storage of belly fat, inflammation, raises triglycerides and lowers HDL, raises blood pressure, lowers testosterone in men, and contributes to infertility in women..!
- Not to mention now your appetite is increased because the insulin effect on your brain and the fructose go directly to your liver where it starts making fat.
Now, here’s what happens when you eat the broccoli:
- Broccoli is a high-fiber, low-sugar carb that is digested very slowly. Because it has so much fiber, very few calories are actually absorbed.
- There are no blood sugar or insulin spikes, no fatty liver, and no hormonal chaos.
- After eating it, you eventually feel full, and you also get all the benefits of the nutrients in the broccoli like lowered cholesterol, reduced inflammation, and a detoxification
- Broccoli is full of vitamin C, folate, and all kinds of wonderful nutrients that nourish your body.
The Basics of a Blood Sugar Diet
The Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox Diet has been very effective for thousands of people. A recent book that also made it to the New York Times best seller list is The Sugar Impact Diet by JJ Virgin. Both diets unequivocally agree that the old paradigm of calories in and calories out is passé and that not all sugars are equal. In JJ Virgin’s Sugar Impact Diet, she provides a revolutionary new approach to gradually transitioning into a low sugar impact diet for fast, lasting fat loss and optimal health.
Most other diets look at one aspect of sugar such as glycemic load, glucose load, fructose, nutrient density, or fiber quota. In The Sugar Impact Diet JJ combines all of these measurements to determine whether a certain food has a low-, medium-, or high-sugar impact on your body. She has provided extensive, easy-to-follow lists in her book, so there’s no guessing which category a food falls under. This helps you gradually taper and transition off sugar forever. You literally shift from being a sugar burner to a fat burner. You’ll learn to identify and eliminate the sneaky sugars from so-called healthy foods that hold your weight and health hostage.
If you suffer from sugar cravings and consume a diet made up of mostly high sugar impact foods, this may be the plan for you.
For more information:
- Visit JJ’s website at http://www.jjvirgin.com/
- Dr. Hyman’s website at http://bloodsugarsolution.com/
- Julie Daniluk’s website at: https://juliedaniluk.com/
- And pick up your copy of the Recipes for Life Boxed Set here: https://www.recipesforlife.ca/our-books/
Health Coach Rita Thomas and Chef Erin Holm hope to inspire families, friends and communities to live happier, healthier and more delicious lives.
Sign up for their weekly health and recipe blog to start your journey to good health.